Sunday, November 11, 2012

21 Steps- Whistler, B.C.

21 Steps Restaurant Review
Whistler, B.C.

Anytime that I am taking a group of close friends and family out for dinner, in Whistler, I love going to 21 Steps.  There are several servers who have been there for more than 4 years and each one is always happy to be there. That really says it all! This summer I have taken co-workers and hosted bridal parties.  It is also my first place I recommend tourists to go to when they ask where to go.  I do have other favourite restaurants that I frequent in Whistler, but this is my go to when I want something fancy that is at a great price point.  The wine list is modest.  I do enjoy that there are several wines in the 30-45 price range and the list includes BC wines. The list could include about 10 more BC wines to complete there list. The fall special is $35.00 and it includes: one small plate, one big plate and a dessert (liquid or solid).

Small plates:
Last evening we started with the Queso Fundido ($9.5).  This includes homemade tortilla chips with chilli powder.  The chips were perfectly cripsy and not greasy.  It is served with a cheesy pesto dip topped with pumping seeds.  The pesto part of the dip is a tad oily, but the flavours are amazing.
My other favourites are the Crispy chicken wings, Fried Goat Cheese and Steamed Tiger Prawns.

Big Plates:
My mom and I had our favourite dish: Stuffed Portabello Mushroom ($19).  This dish is pure heaven for goat cheese lovers!  This mushroom is filled with goat cheese, spinach and caramelized onions topped with panko crumbs and a tasty sauce.  It is served with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables. I can't even count the amount of times I have had this dish.


My boyfriend tried the Alberta Bison Flat Iron Steak with a green peppercorn sauce. ($28). "Really Good!!"  A flat iron steak is a cut of meat from the front shoulder not a method of cooking.  This steak is one of the more flavourful cuts, but it is a tougher as it is cut with the grain not across the grain.. so stick to a filet if tender is what you prefer.

My dad had the Roasted half chicken.  It was perfectly cooked!

Dessert:
We shared a Creme Brûlée (7). It had a crispy and sweet exterior just as it should.  Instead it was soooo creamy and tasted like a yummy custard.  do not miss out of this dessert. My liquid dessert was a bailey's and coffee of course!

Wine pairing: Terra Andina- Carmenere- Syrah.  It was a nice pre-dinner sipping wine that also went well with all of our meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment