Saturday, July 21, 2012

Panko crusted tofu

I decided to quickly whip up some tofu Japanese style.  I was already deep frying wontons for a dinner event tomorrow, so why not deep fry tofu for the first time!  Everyone knows how I like small bites, so here is another small bite recipe for you!

So here is what you do..

1. In one bowl put some flour.
2. In another bowl beat an egg.
3. in another bowl put some panko crumbs
4. In a large pot put about 3/4 inch of vegetable oil.
5. Dip extra firm tofu in flour, then egg and then panko.
6.  Place in hot oil.  about 20 seconds per side.
7.  serve with soy sauce, ponzu or whatever you like!

Too easy!


2 comments:

  1. I make this style tofu with italien seasonings and in "cutlets" to make "chicken" parmessan! If you like agedashi tofu like they do at the sushi restaurants around it is really easy. I cut a block of tofu in 3 or 4 sections depending on desired thickness (I like my tofu chucks a bit smaller) and lay those pieces out on a towel or paper towel for about 30 min. AFter that I cut them into cubes, coat with cornstarch, shake off any excess and deep fry them in batches (I use a smaller pot so they become fully submerged and keep that vegetable oil in a big glass jar to be reused for deep frying purposes)You wouldn't believe how crispy they turn out with just cornstarch! When we are having home sushi nights we go to samurai and pick up a container of spicy sauce for $2. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so you only use cornstarch? i will have to try that. but I found the panko crumbs had the same effect as the restaurant style. Good call on the spicy sauce!

    ReplyDelete