Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sneak Peak:Oliver, Osoyoos and Kelowna Fall 2012

Hello fellow wine lovers,

Here is a sneak peak of the wines we tasted!  More notes to follow after I do some re-tasting and remembering:)

My boyfriend and I did our semi-annual wine trip to BC's wine country.  For me wine is all about finding what YOU like. What tastes good to you may not be good to someone else.  I also believe that in any price range you can find a wine that works for any occasion. I tend to stick to wines in the $15-20 and for a treat $35. My taste buds prefer more dry whites (less sweet) and all kinds of red wines (pinot noir to a big bold foch).  I love blended wines as you will soon discover.

This blog will be a work in process as we did visit 21 vineyards and tasted over 100 wines.  We are wine athletes!  We ended up with 5 cases that we took home.  Every time I go I wish I took better notes, but it is hard when I am busy tasting!

Highlights and Most Memorable moments:

1. Rustico Farm and Cellars
Do not miss this vineyard.  The experience of tasting wine is only half of what this place has to offer. One of my favourite parts of this vineyard is Bruce.  True to his cowboy roots he is always in denim and a cowboy hat. He has the most charming smile and you wish you could just spend the day with his horses and 2 dogs.  He also has a full setup of for BYOP (Bring your own picnic).  He greets each guest like family and you can tell he truly cares about each bottle of wine from start to finish!

History note:Rustico Farm & Cellars’ heritage log home, originally a late 1800’s bunkhouse for 19 miners at the  Sally Silver Mine some  two and one-half hours away was carefully dismantled and moved a couple of logs at a time to its present hillside site. It was then painstakingly rebuilt and topped with a unique sod roof, cut from the neighboring mountainside. 

RED= my favourites!!

Our purchases:
Farmers Daughter (Gewürztraminer) 17.95: It does have quite a nose to it.  This wine is  geared for those who like wine on the sweeter side.  It would pair well with a nice roast chicken or on the patio on a summer day.  We also enjoyed it with pancakes and bacon.

Last Chance (Zinfandel, Merlot, Chancellor) 19.95: This one is my personal favourites! Great price point for a bold red.

Mother Lode (Merlot) 24.95:  This one is a bit smokey and would go nicely with lamb.

2. Road 13
Honest John's red and white: These are both great wines for entertaining or if you need wine on a tuesday!

3.Casini
Maximus (cabernet sauvginon, merlot, cab franc, malbec) 34.00:  I won't spend much over $30 for many wines but this one is worth the big bucks! With a blend like this I do not think I need too much of an explanation.  This one is for those who like game meat!  There are notes of black current, black pepper, strawberry jam, vanilla, cocoa and tobacco.  The tannins are soft with a nice balance.

My other favourite is their Red Carpet Pinot Noir, but it was unavailable to taste.  If you see it I suggest you drink it.

4. Hester Creek
Merlot: Plum, cherry, chocolate, black peper and sage.  Are you seeing a pattern?  I like wines with chocolate and black pepper.

5. Inniskillin
Pinot Noir
2009 Dark Horse Meritage (Merlot, Cab Sauv, Cab Franc): I would definitely buy this one again!  Great Meritage. It has a smooth finish.

6. Quinta Ferreira (DO NOT MISS THIS VINEYARD).  So many amazing wines here.  Likely one of my favourites. 
Normally I always pick up their unoaked and oaked chardonnay, but the oaked chardonnay was note available.  I would suggest buying both to try! Do not be afraid of the chardonnay.  The ones in BC are mostly done with french oak which are less potent then our southern neighbours American oak.
Sauvignon Blanc: Very nice and would stand up well to Kim Crawford. 
Cabernet Sauvignon: Yummy.  This grape is my go to for reds!
Obra Prima: Leave this wine in your mouth for 10 seconds and it will taste like a coating of chocolate.  So yummy.  This is one to saviour. 
Porta D'ouro: Lovely port!  We bought 2 bottles!

7. Oliver twist:
Viognier
Pinto Gris
Chardonnay

8. Church and state:
Merlot
Viognier
Meritage:

9. Platinum Bench
Gamay Noir: Some gamay's can be light, but this stood up well to my taste buds. We bought 2 of these.

10. Le Vieux Pin (Most wines here are over $35.  Worth the taste, but it does come with a price tag)
Sauvignon Blanc:
Syrah:

11.Dessert Hills:
Gamay:
Mirage:
Gewurtraminer:
unoaked Chardonay

12. Stone Boat
Pinotage: This is normally a South African grape.  It is a grape that is bred from Pinot Noir and Cinsaut. I find it has more flavour than a Pinot Noir.
Pinto Noir:
Duet
chorus:

13. Tinhorn Creek
Merlot

14. Castor de Oro
Pinot Noir
Heartbreaker
Merlot

15. Gehringer brothers
Pinot Noir

16. Jackson Triggs ( for the price these are must buys)
2010 White Meritage: My favourite white by far at JT.  
2010 Cabernet Sauvignon:

Okanagan Falls:
1. Wild goose
Merlot
Black Brant

2. Blue Mountain
2011 Gamay Noir

3. Stag's Hallow
2009 The Heritage Block

Kelowna:
1. Quails Gate
2010 Chardonay
2010 Merlot
2010 Old Vines Foch

2. Mt. Boucherie:
2006 Melange Noir


No comments:

Post a Comment