Monday, October 29, 2012

5 Ingredient Easy Slow cooker Pork Shoulder= Simple Sunday

Sunday Simplicity:

In fall, on Sundays, I like to put my feet up and relax. It is too warm to ski and getting too cold to bike, so it is time to rest the mind and body.  Part of that relaxation will come from the aroma's of my slow cooking.  Life can be hectic with the demands we put on ourselves, so it is important to SCHEDULE time outs.  Yes, time outs for grown ups means the following: being in the moment and finding  happy thoughts. I like to sit on the couch, take deep breathes and think of all the things I am thankful for. Sometimes we need to pull our selves away from distractions and stress and just BE. Even machines, such as a car, need gas.  I believe part of our gas is rest and food. So why not combine the two!

It is a great day to slow cook because then you know you will have left overs for Monday.  It is a beautiful thing to start Monday feeling prepared and ready for the work week to come.  I am on a simple cleanse (no diary, no bread, no booze, limited sugar). I think this recipe would classify has healthy.

There is my teaching for the day and now for the most important part:  The recipe:


Ingredients:

Pork Shoulder
8 apples
1 onion
1/2 apple cider Vinegar
Rosemary

1 tbsp of grapseed oil
Spices:  Cinnimon, all spice, salt and pepper
Optional:  ( I has a morsel of real maple sryup in the fridge I threw in)

Directions:

1. Chop onion and 2 apples and put it in the bottom of the crock pot.
2. Heat up a stainless steel pan to med high and put in some grape seed oil.  Season the pork shoulder with rosemary, salt and pepper.  Sear each side for about 1 minute. Place the shoulder in the crock pot.
3. Chop up the rest of the apples and layer beside the pork shoulder. Sprinkle the spices on top.
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

1 comment: